Non-Alcohol Related Fatty Liver Disease
Many of us are overweight and don’t do enough exercise
How it hurts your liver
Fatty deposits can build up in your liver which can cause inflammation and scarring. This is more likely to happen if you are overweight, diabetic or regularly drink too much alcohol.
How to look after your liver
- Keep to a healthy weight
- If you’re overweight, speak to your doctor about help with losing weight safely – avoid crash diets and rapid weight loss
- Eating plenty of fruit and vegetables is important: aim for 5 portions a day
- Drink plenty of water
- Try eating from a smaller plate and cutting down on fatty and sugary foods
- Get at least half an hour’s exercise a day leaving you warm and slightly out of breath
- Finding an exercise that you enjoy will help: try walking, swimming, cycling or dancing
- Stick to the recommended guidelines for drinking alcohol.
Learn more about Non-Alcohol Related Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
Learn more about alcohol and liver disease
Useful links about exercise and healthy eating