Men and women in the North West are being encouraged to get a free health check with the arrival of a mobile liver screening roadshow.
The British Liver Trust's Love Your Liver roadshow will be visiting the region to raise awareness of liver disease and provide members of the public with free liver scans.
The North West has some of the highest hospital admission for liver disease rates in England. Over 10,500 are admitted to hospital with liver disease in North West England each year and the British Liver Trust estimates 90% of these admissions could have been prevented.
Most liver disease can be prevented with simple lifestyle changes and the British Liver Trust, the UK's leading liver health charity, will be offering free liver screening and scans to members of the public in their mobile unit. The five-day roadshow will stop at the following locations:
- Saturday 18th May 2019, Flag Market, Preston, 10am to 4pm
- Sunday 19th May 2019, King William Street, Blackburn, 10am to 4pm
- Monday 20th May 2019, Albion Street, Oldham, 10am to 4pm
- Tuesday 21st May 2019, Buttermarket Street, Warrington, 10am to 4pm
- Wednesday 22nd May 2019, Grange Road, Birkenhead, 10am to 4pm
Pamela Healy OBE, Chief Executive at the British Liver Trust, said, “One in three of us are at risk of liver disease and the numbers of people being diagnosed have been increasing at an alarming rate. Liver damage develops silently with no signs or symptoms and people often don’t realise they have a problem until it is too late. Although the liver is remarkably resilient, if left until symptoms appear, the damage is often irreversible.
“The Love Your Liver roadshow is a great opportunity for people to find out their risk of liver disease and receive a free non-invasive scan. Approximately 20% of the people we scan need to have further checks.”
Liver disease is largely preventable. More than 90% is due to three main risk factors: obesity, alcohol and viral hepatitis. The British Liver Trust’s Love Your Liver campaign focuses on three simple steps to Love Your Liver back to health:
- Drink within recommended limits and have three consecutive days off alcohol every week.
- Cut down on sugar, carbohydrates and fat and take more exercise.
- Know the risk factors for viral hepatitis and get tested or vaccinated if at risk. There are now highly effective cures for hepatitis c.
The Roadshow comprises a mobile unit where people can take a free online screening test and find out if they are at risk. Free scanning will also be available using a non-invasive Fibroscan device. There will be expert advice on how to keep your liver healthy from healthcare professionals who will be on hand to provide advice on diet, exercise and healthy living.
The Trust provides support and detailed information for anyone with, or affected by a liver condition. For more information, details of all the screening events or to take the online ‘Love Your Liver’ health screener, visit www.britishlivertrust.org.uk//love-your-liver.
Back to latest news